Friday, January 20, 2012

The Help

Have you seen movie "the Help"? Not a kind of movie I like, but it gave me a more detailed insight into black people life in the mid-20th century in U.S. I was not surprised African-American maids and white people they worked for had separate bathrooms. Some white families actually believed they will get a disease if it was not different. And, it is very well known black were riding in the back of the bus. Hmm, if I was afraid of someone, I would rather keep an eye on him. Wouldn't you?

So, here goes the story.
I was flying to San Francisco, listening to my favorite Serbian band and planning some romantic walks on the Hawaiian beaches. It has been a long trip and naturally, at one moment I needed to go to the toilet. I looked in the rear of the plain and I saw both restrooms are occupied and there are five more people waiting in addition. Then I looked to the front and noticed the only restroom is unoccupied. How strange! It become more strange when I realized I am approaching the curtain that separates first from economy class. You guessed, a stewardess told me in a polite manner to go to the rear of the plane.

I am sure there is a word describing situations when the members of one group are excluded from the opportunities available to another group. It is on the tip of my tongue. D-, dis-, d-, ... Oh, I remembered, it is "privilege"! Wouldn't you agree rich people are privileged in many ways in the world we live in? And in a way, rich own this planet and the rest are just being their help, doing all the dirty/boring jobs. It turns out money is the new race. It doesn't matter who is white or black anymore, are you green or not is what makes the difference. Well, at least it is easier to get rich than to change the skin color. Right?

Anyways, Beatles and "(money) Can't buy me love" started on my mp3 player. Wish me a safe trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment